Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electric Bicycle
Cyclamatic is a relatively new entrant in the bike world – not surprising since the market for electric bikes is fairly new. Since the technology needed for economical electric bicycles – namely, high-capacity and inexpensive batteries – has really only come to the forefront in the last decade or so, there are very few “standby” electric bike brands.
Cyclamatic offers a full range of electric bikes, including full-size models like the Cyclamatic Power Plus, as well as smaller, foldable bikes like the CX2 foldable electric bicycle.
The Cyclamatic CX2 foldable electric bicycle has quickly made a name for itself as one of the best bargain models available today, and it’s a great choice for a new, 2017 foldable electric bike.
The the cyclamatic is built in a low-profile, lightweight design that makes it much easier to carry and more easy to fold than many other larger foldable bike designs which are usually only meant for storage.
Specifications and Features:
Let’s start with the powertrain. The Cyclamatic CX2 features a 250w motor. It’s not a powerhouse, but it will help propel you to the recommended top speed of 15mph on the roads. This should be more than enough for avid cyclers, although if you want to reach higher speeds than that, you will have to look at some of the other options that are on the market.
A bonus of this small motor is that it’s very lightweight, and has a relatively small battery pack – which is usually the main source of weight on an electric bike – so this smaller, foldable bike doesn’t suffer from the excessive weight issues that can crop up in some electric bikes.
The Cyclamatic CX2 isn’t equipped with a throttle. This makes it what’s known as a “pedelec” in the industry – a smaller bike that only assists while pedaling, instead of offering a dedicated throttle setting. It has a zero-assist setting and two other electric-assisted pedaling settings so that you can choose high-assist or low-assist, depending on your needs.
One result of this pedelec design is great range – since you can’t overtax the battery or motor, the pint-sized power supply in this bike lasts up to 31 miles, and since it’s so small and lightweight, you won’t be too bogged down if you’ve got to haul yourself home manually.
The bike itself is pretty small, appropriate for users from 5’ 2” up, though if you’re more than 6’ 3” or so you may find yourself in need of a new seat post, or risk your knees knocking on the handlebars. It supports a maximum user weight of 220lbs.
Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electric Bicycle Review
There are many positives surrounding the Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electrical Bike, and we will go over all of these below. Whether you're looking for a bike that will assist you when your energy levels are running low; or one which will help you up that difficult hill the CX2 has you covered! Plus that’s not all it has to offer, continue reading for more information…
- Full waterproofing is surprisingly rare in electric bicycles, but this little foldable electric bike is built with a waterproof design that allows it to be used in rain and other wet, muddy conditions.
- You never know when the weather is going to change, so this could be a huge life saver when the forecast is wrong! You don’t want to bank on the weatherman being right and come home with a broken bike!
Small and Light
- Some foldable electric bikes can tip the scales at over 60 pounds – way too heavy to constantly fold them up and carry them into shops, offices, or other places where you may want to stow your bike for a while. The CX2 still isn’t a featherweight – it weighs a little under 50 pounds – but you would be surprised what even a 10lb reduction can do for you. Also, the CX2 is small and low profile, and very easy to fold up – it takes less than 20 seconds to fold up, so it’s very convenient.
- Although you may think that a couple of extra pounds, or inchs won’t make a difference, trust us it will. When you’re trying to carry your bike through a tight doorway, or even in the Train station, the Size and Weight will be the only things that matter. Nobody wants to get home with both their arms and legs aching, and that’s why the size and weight of this bike are so important!
- This bike is crafted with great materials, including a Shimano gear shifting system, quality V-brakes, and Kenda anti-puncture tires. The 20” steel frame is also extremely durable and feels totally solid. You won’t have to worry about some cheap frame falling apart on you.The design also incorporates some nice extras, like front and rear mud guards, a bell, and reflectors – you’re all set up as soon as you open the box and pop the bike together.
- Many people always overlook the quality of the tires when they’re purchasing their first bike. When in reality they are one of if not the most important part. Nobody wants to be cycling down the street and go over an object to find that their tires will burst easily because by that point it will be too late. The Cyclamic Foldaway Bike comes with Samson Champion Tires so you shouldn’t have any issues in day to day activities.
Great for City Travel and Commuting
- The small profile and good range of this bike made it an ideal for short city commutes – or longer ones if you’ve got a power supply to charge the battery up. The CX2 is also a good bike if you plan on using public transportation to travel a longer distance – it folds up in an easily storable, compact design and unfolds quickly once you get to your destination.
- The bike isn’t too heavy for a normal person to carry around with them, although 50 pounds may seem like a lot when all things are taken into consideration it’s not much.
- Also because the bike is small in general it’s ideal for fitting in them small gaps and going in between all of the traffic. Plus with the battery assistance, you won’t have to worry about using all of your energy when traveling up that killer hill.
- The CX2 comes fitted with a powerful 250W motor which can easily make the bike achieve speeds of up to 15MPH. The motor fitted to this bike requires little in the way of maintenance due to it having an extremely healthy motor life and value for money. When on an even flat surface, it is possible to get up to 31 miles out of a single charge.
- This bike is ideal for traveling, especially when you have very little space to store items. The ability to fold the bike is one thing, but having the bike fold in a way so that it occupies very little space when it needs to be stored away. The CX2 folds at the midpoint of its crossbar and the handlebar. This allows for a quick lock and release system which makes it ideal for transporting in your car.
- Comparing bikes to other forms of transport they are incredibly cheap. The initial cost of purchasing a folding bike is small in comparison to purchasing a car. Aside from this, maintaining a folding bike is cheaper and easier than that of a car.
- Having a folding bike is one of the more healthier forms of transport and can have great health benefits.
Of course, this little bike isn’t perfect. Let’s take a look at some of the drawbacks of this bike so that you can figure out if it’s right for you.
Throttle-less Design Might Not Be Right For Everyone
- While the “pedelec” design of this bike appeals to some, most modern electric bikes include both a pedal-assist option and a throttle. If you’re looking for both, this probably isn’t the bike for you.
Not Perfect For Taller Riders
- The 20” wheels and 20” frame are sturdy and can easily hold up to the 220lb capacity, but taller riders (6’ or higher) may still feel awkward on a smaller bike and may be more interested in a 26” foldable electric bike.
- Many taller people will simply ignore the fact that their bicycle is slightly too small for them to save the extra bit of cash it would take to buy a bigger model/replacement. This can lead to back problems and makes it much easier for you to have an accident; that is the main reason we don’t recommend this bike to taller riders.
30 Mile Range Is Limited
- While a 30-mile range is enough for most electric bicycle purposes, many bikes on the market can easily hit 40-50 miles. If you need an ultra-long range electric bike, this isn’t the product for you.
The Cyclamatic CX2 is a fantastic, low-profile pedelec bike. If you need a more manageable, smaller folding electric bicycle at a great price point, you’re unlikely to find a better choice. This bike has clearly been designed for city commuters who are on a smaller budget than more enthusiastic Cyclists. If that’s, you then make sure you take a second look at the Cyclamatic CX2.
Though it has its drawbacks – a shorter range, no throttle, and a less powerful motor than some other electric bikes – it’s priced very well, and it provides a great ride whether you use pedal-assist or just cruise along like a normal bike.
This bike is best used in the city for shorter commutes – it lacks much of a suspension or knobby tires, and isn’t appropriate for off-roading, especially given its heavy steel frame. So if you’re looking for a great, foldable electric bike for the city at a good price, you should check out the Cyclamatic CX2.
Thank you for reading, we hope that you leave the site with all the information you need on the CX2. If you have any more questions feel free to send us an E-mail, also feel free to check out some of our pieces on Electric Bikes.