Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electric Bicycle
Cyclamatic is a relatively new entrant in the bike world – not surprising since the market for electric bikes is fairly new. Since the technology needed for economical electric bicycles – namely, high-capacity and inexpensive batteries – has really only come to the forefront in the last decade or so, there are very few “standby” electric bike brands.
Cyclamatic offers a full range of electric bikes, including full-size models like the Cyclamatic Power Plus, as well as smaller, foldable bikes like the CX2 foldable electric bicycle.
The Cyclamatic CX2 foldable electric bicycle has quickly made a name for itself as one of the best bargain models available today, and it’s a great choice for a new, 2017 foldable electric bike.
This electric bike is built in a low-profile, lightweight design that makes it much easier to carry and more easy to fold than many other larger foldable bike designs which are usually only meant for storage.
Specifications and Features:
Let’s start with the powertrain. The Cyclamatic CX2 features a 250w motor. It’s not a powerhouse, but it will help propel you to the recommended top speed of 15mph on the roads.
An added bonus of this small motor is that it’s very lightweight, and has a relatively small battery pack – which is usually the main source of weight on an electric bike – so this smaller, foldable bike doesn’t suffer from the excessive weight issues that can crop up in some electric bikes.
The Cyclamatic CX2 isn’t equipped with a throttle. This makes it what’s known as a “pedelec” in the industry – a smaller bike that only assists while pedaling, instead of offering a dedicated throttle setting. It has a zero-assist setting and two other electric-assisted pedaling settings, so you can choose high-assist or low-assist, depending on your needs.
One result of this pedelec design is great range – since you can’t overtax the battery or motor, the pint-sized power supply in this bike lasts up to 31 miles, and since it’s so small and lightweight, you won’t be too bogged down if you’ve got to haul yourself home manually.
The bike itself is pretty small, appropriate for users from 5’ 2” up, though if you’re more than 6’ 3” or so you may find yourself in need of a new seat post, or risk your knees knocking on the handlebars. It supports a maximum user weight of 220lbs.
Cyclamatic CX2 Folding Electric Bicycle Review
Let’s take a look at some of the most unique attributes of the Cyclamatic CX2 that make it a great choice for a city commuter bike.
- Full waterproofing is actually surprisingly rare in electric bicycles, but this little foldable electric bike is built with a waterproof design that allows it to be used in rain and other wet, muddy conditions.
Small and Light
- Some foldable electric bikes can tip the scales at over 60 pounds – way too heavy to constantly fold them up and carry them into shops, offices, or other places where you may want to stow your bike for a while. The CX2 still isn’t a featherweight – it weighs a little under 50 pounds – but you would be surprised what even a 10lb reduction can do for you.In addition, the CX2 is small and low profile, and very easy to fold up – it takes less than 20 seconds to fold up, so it’s very convenient.
- This bike is crafted with great materials, including a Shimano gear shifting system, quality V-brakes, and Kenda anti-puncture tires. The 20” steel frame is also extremely durable and feels totally solid. You won’t have to worry about some cheap frame falling apart on you.The design also incorporates some nice extras, like front and rear mud guards, a bell, and reflectors – you’re all set up as soon as you open the box and pop the bike together.
Great for City Travel and Commuting
- The small profile and good range of this bike made it an ideal for short city commutes – or longer ones if you’ve got a power supply to charge the battery up. The CX2 is also a good bike if you plan on using public transportation to travel a longer distance – it folds up in an easily-storable, compact design and unfolds quickly once you get to your destination.
Of course, this little bike isn’t perfect. Let’s take a look at some of the drawbacks of this bike so that you can figure out if it’s right for you.
Throttle-less Design Might Not Be Right For Everyone
- While the “pedelec” design of this bike appeals to some, most modern electric bikes include both a pedal-assist option and a throttle. If you’re looking for both, this probably isn’t the bike for you.
Not Perfect For Taller Riders
- The 20” wheels and 20” frame are sturdy and can easily hold up to the 220lb capacity, but taller riders (6’ or higher) may still feel awkward on a smaller bike and may be more interested in a 26” foldable electric bike.
30 Mile Range Is Limited
- While a 30-mile range is enough for most electric bicycle purposes, many bikes on the market can easily hit 40-50 miles. If you need an ultra-long range electric bike, this isn’t the product for you.
The Cyclamatic CX2 is a fantastic, low-profile pedelac bike. If you need a more manageable, smaller folding electric bicycle at a great price point, you’re unlikely to find a better choice.
Though it has its drawbacks – a shorter range, no throttle, and a less powerful motor than some other electric bikes – it’s priced very well, and it provides a great ride whether you use pedal-assist or just cruise along like a normal bike.
This bike is best used in the city for shorter commutes – it lacks much of a suspension or knobby tires, and isn’t appropriate for off-roading, especially given its heavy steel frame. So if you’re looking for a great, foldable electric bike for the city at a good price, you should check out the Cyclamatic CX2.