Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike
With over 30-years of experience in the biking industry, you can bet that the Dahon Company knows folding bikes. Since their beginnings, Dahon has been steadily releasing new innovations, which improve upon the designs of many of the fold-up bikes we see. However, in this article, we’ll be talking specifically about the Dahon Mariner D7 folding bike, one of the more well-known light folding bike models of 2019.
Although this company’s headquarters are located in California, their bicycles are manufactured in China-- a country that knows a lot about space efficiency. Due to population issues in China, bicycles inside that country must be able to stow away quickly and safely. Public transportation has been a burden for many folding bicycle owners and the Dahon Mariner folding bike was designed was ease of access in mind. It is built to be easily transportable, even on public transportation.
Weighing in at only 26 pounds, it isn't the lightest folding bicycle out there, but certainly isn’t the heaviest. In fact, the extra weight could be due to the quality of the parts and technology that Dahon uses. Let's take a closer look at the Dahon Mariner D7 to see if it's really worthy of the title of one of the best light folding bicycles of 2019.
Looking at the overall design, the Dahon Mariner D7 looks very sharp. The bike was built to have a low profile design, to better help protect the frame and exterior from damage. However, the sturdiness of this bicycle makes it hard to believe it could be damaged by anything at all! The frame is robust and sturdy.
Yet, only mentioning the frame of the Dahon Mariner would be doing an injustice. Dahon continues to push the limits of how we view the folding bicycle, and there are many other features, which make this bike exceptional. Let's take a closer look at the Dahon Mariner to find out why it is one of the best light folding bikes available.
Features and Product Specifications:
When first glancing at the Dahon Mariner D7, it's easy to notice the design of the 7005-aluminum frame. A great mixture of functionality and great design went into building this model. This bicycle looks great when assembled. As mentioned earlier, the Dahon Company is proud of the innovations they’ve made to improve the folding bicycle. Yet, the constant innovation is most evident in the Mariner’s custom-drawn Sonus tubing.
It's rare to see too much customization on a folding bicycle. That said, the Dahon Mariner mixes top-notch technology with a great overall design. Far too often, companies try to focus too much on either technology or looks. The Dahon Mariner blends both invocation and design seamlessly. The 20-inch wheels provide a suitable comfort-level for most riders, and the alloy of the wheels look great.
A Dahon Neos rear derailleur is a great addition to the Mariner. Six patented technological designs went into the build of this bicycle, a rare feat for one single bike. The overall weight of the Dahon Mariner, when assembled, is 26 pounds, which is about average for a folding bike system. The functionality and look of this bike, combined with its sturdy frame make it a worthwhile purchase.
Strong frame and sturdy design
- It's common to see many folding bikes with frames that don't feel strong enough. Yet, Dahon built the Mariner with sturdiness in mind; the aluminum alloy frame is anything but weak. This bicycle is widely touted as being great for travel in many conditions. This frame won’t fail you in even the worst weather.
The Dahon Shifting System
- One particular signature feature of the Dahon Mariner is its advanced shifting system. This bike is able to tackle everything from flat roads to rough terrain because the shifting on this bicycle is outstanding. You'll enjoy the feel of a crisp, clean, and fast shifting system that feels seamless, secure, and safe.
Quick Folding Time
- Being able to fold in less than 15 seconds, the Dahon Mariner is all about being easy to use. Locking issues have been known to occur with other folding bikes models, but this isn’t the case with the Mariner. Inspired by solutions for easy stowaway on public transportation, this bicycle is a breeze to travel with. The Mariner is one of the fastest light fold-up bicycles of 2019, as far as folding speed is concerned.
Rust Resilient, Not Rustproof
- In wet conditions, the Dahon Mariner performs extremely well. Oddly enough, the great performance of this bicycle, in wet weather, doesn't make it immune to rust. Judging by how well this bike does in the rain, it would probably take constant extreme weather for this bike to start rusting. Nonetheless, the bike isn’t rust-resistant.
Slight Wobbling Can Occur at Higher Speeds
- It should be noted that only one user reported this issue. The Dahon Mariner provides more than enough speed, especially at higher gears. It's not likely that you'll ever need to push the bicycle to its top speed limits. Most users will never reach speeds anywhere near the conditions for wobbling to occur.
A Bit Pricey
One barrier to owning this bicycle could be the higher price tag. However, when you look in detail at all the benefits, it's hard to complain about the price. It can be tough to find a folding bicycle that nails convenience and functionality into one package as well as the Mariner does.
Dahon continues to push the boundaries of innovation for folding bicycles. The Dahon Mariner folding bicyle shows that this company still creates great bicycles. Weighing in at 26 pounds, this bicycle might not be the lightest but shouldn't be too heavy to carry when folded. A bit of extra weight is well-worth the features you’ll gain.
Custom Sonus tubing is only the beginning of the cool tech that has been built into this bicycle. Six separate technologies, all patented by the Dahon Company, went into the Mariner. The shifting system is where this bicycle really shines. While the Mariner can tackle many different terrain types, it still provides a smooth ride overall.
There is a bit of price shock that can occur when first looking at the Dahon Mariner folding bike. However, when you realize just how much went into the creation of this bike, the price tag is justified. While one user reported some wobbling issues, it should be noted that this wobbling was only reported to occur at extremely high speeds. Most riders will never have any need to use this bicycle at such extreme speeds. Overall, this bicycle might be on the pricey side but it is worth every penny and best of all it's lightweight.