e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition Electric Folding Bicycle
e-Joe was founded in 2008 in San Diego, California with an aim to create quality folding bicycles, designed for its functionality. Since then the name “e-Joe” has become synonymous with high-quality, bargain-priced electric bikes. No fancy bells and whistles, no super-aggressive styling. Just great quality, powerful engines and practical designs that have quickly catapulted this start-up to the forefront of the electric bike industry. You get all of this in an incredibly reliable electric bicycle at an affordable price.
Whether you are an electric bike newbie or an experienced rider, you will find something suitable for you with e-Joe. It is no wonder why Electric Bike Action Magazine said that e-Joe electric bicycles work the way they should, even giving that extra push when needed and bring a “great choice at a nice price.”
Another distinguishing feature of e-Joe is their great warranty support – components and batteries come with a 1-year limited warranty, and the entire bike is supported with a 30-day limited full-replacement warranty, giving you total peace of mind when buying a bike.They’ve diversified towards a huge range of electric bicycles, including step-thrus, standard bikes, and the KODA sport models, as well as folding electric bicycles like the Epik SE Sport Edition, which will be the subject of our full electric folding bike review below.
Specifications and Features
The e-JOE Epik SE is a response to those who wanted a little more power. This model features a 350w motor with a peak 550w output. The seven-speed Shimano Tourney transmission will give you amazing power from along the low-lying levels of shorelines to the most aggressive hills. It’s brushless, so it’s high efficiency, and combined with a large battery pack, it’ll get lighter riders on easy terrains close to 55 miles on low levels of pedal assist. The battery itself is a 36-volt, 13-amp hour, LG 18650 Lithium ion. It takes approximately four hours to fully charge from low battery level.
A LED display will show the battery level, pedal assist level, and feature a throttle/PAS mode switch. The motor features the standard three-mode power switching option. You can turn it off completely, use a variable pedal assist mode, or use the handlebar-mounted throttle to crank up your speed in a hurry. It goes up to 20 mph.
The frame is built out of an extremely lightweight aluminum alloy and feels very sturdy. The battery pack is located inside the frame itself – a welcome change from some lower-end models which include an exterior-mounted battery pack. This design also helps protect the bike from the elements, though it’s not fully waterproof. The tires are 20” x 1.75” Kenda puncture resistant tires, perfect for street riding.
The seat is a Selle Royal Hertz Trekking saddle. These were made for the serious cyclists in mind, providing comfort for those long rides. It is also unisex, making it a comfortable design for both men and women. When it comes to the brakes, they are dependable with Zoom 160mm disc brakes in both the front and rear of the bike.
The bike is crafted with a 20” frame and tire design, standard for smaller folding bikes. The folding action of the frame is very good – it folds back on itself intuitively, and can be folded and unfolded in less than 30 seconds, and feels sturdy when locked in place – it’ll never collapse during a ride. When the bike is folded, it measures 35 x 24 x 17 inches.
The frame comes in a variety of colors: Frosty white, bubblegum pink, black matte, and sky blue. It can hold up to 300lbs. weight.
The e-Joe Epik SE is a great electric bike on its own, but it also has some great, handy accessories like front and rear fenders, front and rear lights, a rear rack perfect for transporting small items, and a magnet clip. You can also opt for a folding bag.
Let’s take a deeper look at what makes the e-JOE Epik SE one of the best folding electric bikes of 2017.
The Lightest Weight Folding Electric Bike We’ve Seen
- This bike is unbelievable light compared to some others on the market at a mere 42lbs. On the heavier side, bikes like the Prodeco V5 Phantom X2 can tip the scales at nearly 60lb, while this tiny titan weighs in at barely over 40lb. This makes it incredibly agile, and it’s quite easy to pedal, even when you don’t use the motor-assist function.
- The light weight also makes this bike ideal for anyone who lives in an apartment – while carrying a 60lb bike up three flights of stairs is a challenge for just about anybody, a 40lb bike is much easier.
Long Range, Powerful Motor
- The light weight of the bike itself plus the energy-efficient motor allows this bike to hit 50+ mile ranges, and even though the 350w motor isn’t as beefy as some 500w models, it can still push out 550w or more of peak power to get you through tough hills, or to boost your speed in a pinch. If you thought you would still have to put in a lot of effort with some assist, think again. It is extremely easy to pedal, even on the first assist setting!
- Built in lights are a welcome sight on this bike – though turn signals would have helped increase the safety of this bike further. Regardless, built-in lights make this bike much safer to ride at night and help increase its convenience factor.
Tiny Folded Profile
- This bike isn’t just light. It folds up to a tiny 35 x 24 x 17 in profile, which is easily one of the smallest on the market. This allows you to carry it on public transportation, take it with you into stores and offices, or stow it in trunks and in apartments quickly and easily. You’ll always be able to find somewhere to stash the e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition.
You’ll Be Out Riding in No Time
- Some electric bikes come in several pieces you need to put together, but this comes nearly completely assembled. All you need to do is unfold and put the seat on, which is very easy to do, and there is a small wrench that can be used to tighten the handlebars as needed. The battery is also charged when it arrives so you can start using your bike nearly right away once it arrives.
The Handlebars and Seat Are Adjustable
- While many regular bicycles are built for men or women specifically, this bike is unisex. The handlebars and seat can be adjusted to whatever is most comfortable for you. The seat is perfect for those long rides for both men and women.
e-Joe’s Customer Service is Exceptional
- Although the chances of encountering any problems should be quite low, reviews have said that any issue, no matter how big or small, had been dealt with appropriately and quickly. E-Joe really listen to their customers and want them to get the best out of their electric bike. Not only do they make sure their customers are completely happy with exceptional customer service, but they also take their customers’ suggestions seriously too, which has contributed a lot to how the e-Joe Epik SE looks and the features that it offers.
It Can Be Used on All Types of Surfaces
- The e-Joe Epik Sport Edition is great for light riding, especially in the city for getting to and from work, but it was designed for much more than that too. If can go on more rugged terrain, even uphill, and still pack a punch. In fact, e-Joe themselves say the it can even be enjoyed through the Smokey Mountains! Users have even said how it goes up hills with ease. Of course, the type of terrain and weight of the rider will determine how long the battery will last.
- We’re still waiting for the day when waterproofing becomes standard in electronic bikes. Although some may argue that you usually shouldn’t be riding electric bikes in the rain anyway, waterproofing is a great way to help enhance the durability and longevity of any folding electric bike and can lend to riders’ peace of mind when riding in poor conditions. Though the internally-mounted battery of this bike can handle drizzles, heavy downpours can cause problems for its electronic systems.
Not Great for Tall or Heavier Riders
- The light weight of this bike works against it when it comes to tall riders. Riders over 6 feet can ride this bike, but the weight distribution, crank length, and small 20” frame make it a bit uncomfortable compared to 26” frame options like the Prodeco V5 Phantom X2, even despite the adjustable seats and handlebars. This also means heavier riders wouldn’t suit this bike. It holds up to 300lbs.
Replacement Batteries Are Expensive – And Hard to Replace
- The specialized Li-ion battery made for the internal use of the e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition is very expensive – costing nearly a third of the value of the bike. Installation is also difficult, as the battery is internally mounted. While the stock battery is expected to last for multiple years, this could be a consideration for those of us who are looking for a long-term bike and are thinking about servicing and repairs.
The Bell is Ineffective
- The Epik SE comes with a bell, handy for getting the attention of people normally, but this one has been rendered quite useless. While the rest of the bike has obviously had careful consideration and sheer quality put into it, the bell leaves a lot to be desired and has been known to quit working quite quickly. This may not be something everyone is worried about, but if you prefer to have a bell for extra safety measures, then you may want to get your own.
The LED Display is Very Basic
e-Joe have decided the only things needed on the controller was battery and pedal assist levels. Other electric bikes may go into more detail, telling your more details like your speed, but not this bike. E-Joe may not have seen it as a necessity in an effort to keep the costs down.
The e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition Electric Folding Bike is probably the best 20” frame folding electric bike in its price range. The internally mounted battery helps keep the electric functionality of this bike low-key and lends to its classic bike styling, and high-quality hardware and components allow this bike to function ably with and without power.
The adjustable handlebars and seat make for a very comfortable ride. The puncture-resistance tires mean you can travel on the street without worry. Go from pedal assist to controlling with a throttle and back again with the thumb switch. The top speed of 20 mph is a max of what you would get on any electric bike. This is a great first electric bike for anyone wanting to give it a try but also something loved by the experienced electric bike rider.
The light weight of this bike is probably its most outstanding feature, though, and the fact that it is such a convenient folder makes it one of the most portable electric folding bikes we’ve ever reviewed. It’s light, easy to carry, and easy to take out and unfold in a matter of seconds to get you back on the road again. If you’re on the tall side, then the lightweight 0” option isn’t for you, but otherwise, it is a well-constructed bike that e-Joe have the right to be proud of.
If you’re looking for a smaller, 20” city commuter bike, and light weight and a great folding design are foremost on your list of priorities, you’re not going to find a better option than the e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition Electric Folding Bike.