Stowabike 26″ MTB V2 Folding Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
There isn’t a lot of information on the origin or history of Stowabike, which is surprising when considering how popular their cycling products are. Stowabike products continually receive high reviews and ratings from customers and experts alike.
Despite its lack of company presence, the Stowabike name is certainly a popular one amidst folding bikes. This is due to a combination of low price points and excellent performance throughout their products, particularly when considering folding mountain bikes.
The Stowabike MTB V2 folding mountain bike is one of the most affordable—if not the most affordable overall—options for a folding mountain bike. The affordability and accessibility of this bike make it one of the most popular choices for those looking for a rugged, dependable folding bike without sacrificing the entire contents of their wallet.
Specifications and Features:
The V2 represents a new and improved version of the original folding mountain bike from Stowabike, and the enhanced features certainly make a difference.
At a total of 26 inches, the Stowabike MTB V2 has a larger frame than most competing bikes. Both the frame and the fork are composed of steel, making for a thoroughly durable and corrosion-resistant bike. Even the v-brakes are made from steel, which certainly ensures that the frame and subsequent components will last for extended periods of time.
Along with a 26” frame, this folding mountain bike also comes with 26” wheels, making it the biggest all-around folding mountain bike. The benefit to having a larger frame and larger wheels is that they both create a more stable and durable mountain bike. This is important for any bike, but even more crucial when considering folding mountain bikes.
Although the 18-speed gears may be a little less than other models, most riders will find that 18 speeds offer more than enough adjustments to tackle a variety of terrains. Shifting is seamless, making it easy for riders to transition from smooth pavement onto rough and rocky trails.
The dual suspension allows for steady and smooth riding, whether on-road or off-road. In combination with the suspension, the alloy body spring shocks offer relief from pressure and ensure that rides are as smooth and as stable as possible.
The bike can hold weights up to 200 pounds, and is best suited for heights between 5’3” and 5’10”. Taller riders may want to invest in a longer seat post to ensure a more comfortable ride.
Although all the above-mentioned specifications and features are certainly good qualities, there are some that stick out as the best. When looking for a folding mountain bike, the Stowabike MTB V2 comes with a few unique qualities, including:
Off-road and on-road capability
- While most folding mountain bikes are clearly designed for off-road use, this particular model can easily transition to on-road use. The tires are certainly thick and treaded, but not so much so that riding on sidewalks or pavement would be difficult. Of course, this means that it may not be suited for heavy mountain biking, but for moderate mountain bikers, the Stowabike MTB V2 will work perfectly fine.
- For those who don’t want to hand over an extra $75 for the bicycle to be assembled, putting the bike together yourself is a simple process. While there are a few additional pieces to put together—including the front wheel, seat post, handlebars, and the pedals—the vast majority of consumers report that assembly gave them no issues.
- As an additional benefit, this folding mountain bike includes every tool you may need during assembly, making for a much more convenient process overall.
- Compared to other folding mountain bikes, the Stowabike MTB V2 is incredibly affordable. In fact, this bike is only a fraction of the cost and comes with a competitive value. While it may not come with enhanced features, there are certainly enough necessary features to establish a solid sense of value for beginning or moderate mountain bikers.
As with any product, there will inevitably be a few negative components to look out for. Depending upon your needs and uses for a folding mountain bike, these components may be important ones to consider:
- At 38.5 pounds, this is certainly one of the heavier options for foldable mountain bikes. The Stowabike MTB V2 gets a lot of its weight from the steel components. While they are certainly durable, steel is not the most lightweight material to use, particularly for a bike that is consistently being transported.
- If you plan on carrying your folding mountain bike over longer distances, this heavier weight may be a significant downfall. It also may lose practicality to bring on public transportation, too, depending upon how often and how far the bike is carried.
Fewer gear speeds
- For moderate cyclists, fewer speed gears probably will not make a huge difference. Having 18 speeds may be more than enough for most. Still, it is worth considering that, in comparison to other foldable mountain bikes, a range of 18 speeds is relatively low.
- For those who plan on biking over challenging and varied terrain, the Stowabike MTB V2 simply may not have enough gear speed variation to accommodate changes.
Lesser quality parts
- This may not be surprising, considering that this bike comes at such a low price point. You do get what you pay for, and in this case, sacrificing price means making a bit of a sacrifice with parts. Compared to other folding mountain bikes, the internal gears and parts are of a slightly lesser quality.
- As a result, it’s fair to expect that there will be a certain amount of adjustments and replacements for parts that are getting looser or simply wearing down before expected. In fact, many customer reviews report experiencing these same difficulties.
There is certainly a wide range of benefits from the Stowabike MTB V2, not the least of which is the incredibly affordable price point. This is perhaps the guiding factor for whether this is the right folding mountain bike for you. If a low price is important, then the Stowabike MTB V2 is the perfect fit. Not only is it affordable, but it also comes with a full array of features to ensure functionality and versatility for moderate biking on and off-road.
For those looking for higher quality components and the ability to traverse over more challenging terrain, however, the Stowabike MTB V2 is not the best option. While it may seem tempting to look for cheaper folding mountain bikes, higher prices ultimately equal better transport, increased performance, and more top quality components.