The Best Folding e-Bikes For Sale 2017
Electric bikes are a relatively new market segment. The idea behind electric bikes has been around for a while – it’s always sounded nice to have an optional motor to help boost speed and blast through hills – but recent advancements in Li-Ion battery pack technology has taken the electric bicycle from fantasy to fact.
Electric bikes are, for all intents and purposes, bicycles. These small, compact bicycles differ from mopeds due to a key design feature – they can all be powered manually, simply by pedaling. However, each one incorporates a powerful rechargeable motor that can do the work for you when you need it to – such as on large hills, or if you’re tired after a long day – and be switched off when necessary.
Because of this design, electric bikes are not classified as motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, or any other form of transportation. They’re bikes, through and through, and US regulations recognize them as such.
In recent years, the convenience and great design of electric bikes has combined with another new, urban technology – folding bikes. Electric folding bikes are lightweight, powerful, and exceptionally convenient – they can take you places no traditional electric or standard-powered bike can.
Let’s take a deeper look at the uses for folding electric bikes, and the advantages of using a folding electric bike in 2017.
Uses for Folding Electric Bikes
Because these bikes are foldable, they’re incredibly portable. This is one of the best features of folding electric bikes. Since your bike can fold, you can fit it into many tight spaces you wouldn’t normally be able to fit a bike, such as in a tiny studio apartment without space for a mounting rack, or in your truck without using a cumbersome bike rack.
The best use for a folding electric bike, however, is for commuting and city travel.
If you live in a city, it’s quite possible that folding electric bikes are the ultimate commuting machine. The huge number of convenience factors provided by a folding electric bike make it the smartest choice for use when traveling around the city daily. You have the versatility of a bicycle – the ability to switch to sidewalks, go around traffic, and ride in tight spaces – with the convenience of a powered form of transportation.
Not only that, the foldability and light weight of these bikes can help you prevent theft – which is a huge problem in most cities. Instead of locking your bike up outside and leaving enterprising thieves to consider the best way of stealing it, you can simply fold it up and take it with you – to the office, grocery store, wherever you may be. No fretting about whether or not you bike will be there when you get back from your errands.
Advantages of Using Folding Electric Bikes
Let’s get a bit deeper into some of the advantages of using a folding electric bike, and explore what makes these ultimate commuting machines tick.
No special license required
- Folding electric bikes are not considered mopeds, motorcycles, or any other form of powered transport. Since they are operable completely manually, they are bicycles as far as relevant laws are concerned – you don’t need any kind of special license to operate one.
Enhanced protection against theft
- Of course, conventional bikes and folding mountain bikes alike all have the potential to be stolen, and for the most part, chains and locks help prevent that. Unfortunately, even the sturdiest lock can be broken. Folding mountain bikes allow for users to easily keep an eye on their bike, bringing it along to offices, stores, or restaurants.
Portable and Lightweight
- While folding electric bikes are somewhat heavier than their manually-pedaled counterparts, they’re still lightweight compared to other forms of transportation like mopeds. Add to that the easily folding design, and you’ve got yourself one of the most portable forms of transportation on the market.
This also means you can bring your bike with you on public transportation – buses, subways, trains, and other forms of transport, allowing you to travel long distances quickly, and cover your final leg of your journey with your powered bike.
Easy, cheap, non-sweaty commuting
- This is actually the number one thing stopping many people from riding bicycles to work – if it’s hot outside, nobody wants to be sweaty when they get to the office, especially if they have no place to shower. Electric folding bicycles allow you to minimize the work done on the bike when you need to in hot weather, and keep you feeling fresh and cool even during the hottest commutes.
Never worry about running out of juice
- One of the biggest advantages of a folding electric bicycle is that they are operable completely manually – if you run out of power, you can just ride your bike as you would normally until you get a chance to charge up. This makes them extraordinarily versatile and allows you to take extended trips on your bike with no fear of being stranded when out of power.
- Obviously, you shouldn’t ignore traffic rules and try to weave around cars – that’s dangerous, even for unpowered bicycles. However, folding electric bikes can fit places that cars can’t – alleyways, or even sidewalks – though again, you should follow all posted laws and regulations about where to ride them. Using your surroundings smartly in an urban environment can help you avoid traffic completely.
Safe from theft
- Standard bicycles are extremely vulnerable, even when left locked up. Even the thickest, most secure U-locks can be cracked and destroyed by enterprising bike thieves in mere minutes. This goes double for standard electric bicycles – they’re expensive, bulky, and can’t really be transported inside, so they are prime targets for bike thieves.
Folding electric bikes avoid theft by virtue of being foldable and portable – you don’t have to lock them up outside, you can just take them into your apartment, office, or wherever you may be – and if you’re in public, you can just ask somebody to keep an eye on your bike behind the counter, or stick it by your seat in a restaurant.
- Space is at a premium in all urban apartments nowadays, and folding electric bikes take up much less space than their traditional cousins – up to a 70% smaller storage footprint, in some cases. This allows you to stash your bike somewhere discreet and out of the way when you don’t need it, without sacrificing valuable floor space or wall space.
The 5 Best Folding Electric Bikes 2017
The market for electric bicycles is growing quickly as people realize the advantages of this unique method of hybrid transportation – and the world of folding bikes is no different. So to help you figure out which product is right for you, we’ve put together a list – the 5 best folding electric bike reviews for 2017! Read on, and see what product works best for your unique situation.
1. Cyclamatic CX2 Bicycle Electric Foldaway Bike
- 250w motor
- Switchable operation modes
- 31-mile range
- 20” wheels
- ● 6-speed Shimano gears
This stylish bike by Cyclamatic is built with quality and durability in mind, featuring an easily adjustable handlebar and seat rig that’s suitable for any rider over 5’ 2”. Setup is a breeze, as the bike is mostly pre-assembled – it’ll take about 30 minutes to put it together, then you’ll be up and riding.
The motor assist on this model is not throttle-based – it’s a three-level system, featuring an off setting, partial assist, and heavy-duty assist. Partial assist mode will allow you to take this bike over 30 miles – and if you run out of juice, you can just turn it off and pedal it home.
In addition, this bike is waterproof – safe to ride in any weather conditions and has built-in front and rear reflectors for extra safety.
- 36v 500w motor
- 36v 11.6aH Samsung Battery
- SRAM X7 8-speed shifter and derailleur
- 30-mile range
- 20mph recommended top speed
This bike by Prodeco – the V5 Phantom X2 – is top-notch in every sense of the word. A gorgeous, heavy-duty frame packs in plenty of power with a large Samsung battery and a 500w motor that can almost power this bike on its own.
The hardware for the bike is also top quality, with a great shifting system that makes operating it a breeze, and a handlebar-mounted throttle that can give you immediate, changing control over your level of power assistance.
The only potential drawback of this bike is that it’s not exactly a featherweight – weighing in at 57 pounds, you may have some trouble lugging this thing around if foldable portability is your main need.
However, if you only need to fold your bike and carry it occasionally, and are looking for a top-quality, durable commuter bicycle, the V5 Phantom X2 is a fantastic choice.
3. Greenbike USA GB5 Electric Motor Power Folding Bike
- 350w motor
- 50-mile single-charge range
- 3 modes – biking, 9-level pedal assist, throttle
- Full suspension
- Disc brakes
This product from Greenbike is certainly a looker – the USA GB5 Folding Bike is made with a head-turning red and black design. But it’s not just beautiful; it’s efficient.
The powerful 350w motor can be turned off, used with nine levels of pedal assist, or switched to “twist-and-go” throttle mode, controlled from the handlebars, for maximum power and adjustability.
The full suspension and high-quality body of this bike allow for a smooth and comfortable ride, even at speeds of up to 26mph, and the front and rear disc brakes allow for easy, smooth stops when you need to bring your speed down.
Other features include a KENDA puncture-free rear wheel, the 6-gear Shimano assembly, and a front LCD control center with rear lights, turn signals, brake lights, and plenty of other special features that will keep you in total control of your riding experience.
4. Addmotor MOTAN Electric Bicycle 2017 Foldaway M-150 E-Bike
- 23 mph top speed
- 55-mile range
- 500w brushless motor
- All-terrain construction
- Heavy-duty aluminum frame.
If you’re looking for more than just a commuter bike, you’ve found the right match in the MOTAN M-150 E-Bike.
This tiny titan is built with off-roading and maximum versatility in mind, featuring a powerful 500w motor that can help you conquer rough terrain like beaches and gravel trails, and durable knobby tires that can provide traction in mud, sand, loose dirt, and even snow – just about any material you may want to ride on.
The foldable design is easily adjustable to riders from 5’ 2” to 6’ 6”, and the motor offers both pedal assist and throttle modes, and achieves 55 miles on a single charge at low pedal assist settings.
This little all-terrain bike is truly a jack-of-all-trades, so if you aren’t confining yourself to the urban jungle, it's a fantastic choice.
5. e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition Electric Folding Bike
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Easy folding action
- 55-mile range
- Tempo fork suspension
- Puncture-resistant street tires
- 160mm disc brakes
For true convenience and portability, the e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition is at the top of the heap. This bike is a featherweight when it comes to electric folding bikes – barely tipping the scales over 40lb, and built with a smart frame that can fold up in under 30 seconds.
This weight class puts it on par with some heavier traditional folding bikes, so if you are going to be transporting your bike often, this is certainly a great choice.
Beyond portability and foldability, this electric folding bike offers a 350w hub motor and a high-capacity battery which combine to give it a range of 55 miles on the low-power assist and takes 4 hours to recharge.
If you’re interested in one of the best electric folding bikes of 2017, the above list is a great place to start. Check out those products, and remember the above advantages we mentioned when talking about folding electric bikes.
Our choices range from small and sporty to large and durable – and everything in between, so you’re sure to find a bike that’s right for you. And with the advantages of folding electric bikes in mind, you’ll be perfectly equipped to find the right bike for your specific needs.